- Navicular fractures may be traumatic (plantar flexion / eversion / axial loading) or stress fractures due to chronic overuse.
- Patients typically complain of midfoot pain and swelling.
- Examination may reveal midfoot swelling, tenderness to direct palpation over the navicular, with retained full ROM.
- Patients with suspected fractures should undergo imaging as part of a specialist assessment.
- All patients with suspected acute navicular fractures should be referred immediately to A&E for imaging and further management.
- Delayed traumatic presentations or suspected stress fractures should be referred to a local fracture clinic. Whilst awaiting a review the following conservative measures are recommended;
- Crutches to off load the injured leg.