Distal fibula fracture
- A common traumatic injury classically caused twisting or a direct blow.
- Patients may complain of pain at any point around the ankle or lower leg with pain on / inability to weight bear.
- Examination may reveal deformity, swelling, and tenderness over the fracture site.
- Patients with suspected fractures should undergo imaging as part of a specialist assessment. Apply the ottowa ankle rules to help decide who requires xray.
- All patients with suspected acute ankle fractures should be referred immediately to A&E for imaging and further management.
- Delayed presentations should be referred to a local fracture clinic. Whilst awaiting a review the following conservative measures are recommended;
- Crutches to off load the injured leg.