- Callosities refer to toughening and discolouration of the skin due to excessive pressure or repetitive contact with rough surfaces.
- Common causes include; oincreased pressure due to foot deformity.
- Poor fitting shoes.
- High heels.
- Failure to wear socks.
- Patients typically complain of the cosmetic deformity with occasional super-imposed infection (fungal) +/- pain.
- Diagnosis is clinical.
- Treatment is focussed on treating the cause and preventing complications.
- Scrubbing with a pumice stone after warm water soaking.
- Well-fitting footwear.
- Moisturise dry skin.
- Referral indications.
- Diagnostic uncertainty.
- Significant infection (A&E).