Tibialis Posterior Sprain
- Advise patients that ligaments may take longer to recover than fractures
- Investigations are usually not required for diagnosis, management, or referral.
- An USS investigation is indicated in severe cases or suspected rupture.
- Patients will usually have a history of an eversion injury with pain behind the medial malleolus.
Conservative measures include
- Avoid activities that exacerbate symptoms
- Patient education
- Shoe wear advice – avoid totally flat, high, or tight shoes. Trainers are appropriate.
- OTC orthotics if flat footed.
- Diagnostic uncertainty
- Recent or worsening flat foot deformity.
- Failure of conservative measures after a minimum of 6 weeks.
- Results of diagnostics indicate specialist assessment required.