Base of 5th Metatarsal Fracture
- A common injury classically caused by ankle inversion / adduction / or repetitive microtrauma.
- Patients typically complain of pain on the lateral boarder of the foot worse on weight -bearing.
- Examination may reveal tenderness on direct palpation.
- Patients with suspected fractures should undergo imaging as part of a specialist assessment.
- All patients with suspected acute 5th metatarsal fractures should be referred immediately to A&E for imaging and further management.
- Delayed presentations should be referred to a local fracture clinic. Whilst awaiting a review the following conservative measures are recommended;
- Crutches to off load the injured leg.